80g melted butter
14g dry yeast
560g plain flour
1 tsp salt
80g granulated sugar
Sugar for coating
Filling of choice, e.g. Jam or Nutella
Deep fat fryer heated to 160 °C
- To activate the yeast: In saucepan heat the milk until it is luke warm, to the milk, add the melted butter and yeast, mix with a fork to active and leave to stand for3 to 4 minutes until there is foam on top.
- In a stand mixer add the remaining ingredients then add the milk and yeast mixture. On a medium speed mix until everything is combined then mix on a high speed for4 to 5 minutes until it has become elastic and smooth.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover with cling film and leave to proof until it has doubled in size which can take up to an hour. (Depending on the room temperature, this may take a longer or shorter length of time).
- Roll out the dough to 1/2 cm thickness on a floured surface.
- Using a scone cutter or rim of a glass, cut out the doughnuts shapes and place on parchment paper, then loosely cover with cling film and leave to proof for another ½ hour or until has risen slightly.
- In a preheated deep fat fryer, place 3 to 4 of the doughnuts s into the oil and cook for roughly 2 minutes either side until golden.
- Lift out the cooked doughnuts on a slotted spoon and place into a bowl sugar and coat the doughnuts fully.
- Leave the sugared doughnuts to cool on a wire rack.
- To fill the doughnuts, use a skewer to make a hole and fill a piping bag with your favourite filling and pipe directly into the doughnut.