Chicken & Pesto Lasagne
Makes 6-8 portions.
- 3-4 chicken fillets.
- 2 Tbsp. of ricotta cheese/ fat free cottage cheese.
- 400g of baby spinach.
- 1 pinch of nutmeg.
- 50g of pesto.
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic.
- 1 Tbsp. of oregano fresh or dried.
- 1 chicken stock cube.
- 9 dry wholemeal or spelt lasagne sheets.
- 50g of Low fat crème fresh.
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced.
- 30g of grated parmesan cheese.
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes.
- Taste of rock salt/grounded black pepper.
- First mice the fillets in a food processor.
- Place in your cooking pot with a splash of olive oil, diced onion and garlic.
- Fry on a low heat until chicken is golden/brown.
- Add the sliced peppers.
- Add chicken stock cube.
- Add the oregano and the tomatoes.
- Bring mixture to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Leave aside…
For your spinach filling mixture:
- Place the spinach in a saucepan on a low heat.
- Add in the pesto.
- Add in the ricotta or cottage cheese.
- Add in the nutmeg.
- Add some black pepper and a pinch of rock salt.
- Mix these ingredients together until you have a wet paste, this will be the middle layer of your lasagne.
- Take your lasagne dish and cover the base with lasagne sheets, 3-4 should do it.
- Pour in about 1/3 of the chicken mixture.
- Add another layer of pasta sheets and press firmly into place.
- Next the spinach and ricotta paste – spread evenly to form your middle layer.
- Add another layer of pasta and then the chicken mixture but hold some back.
- Final layer of pasta sheets- mix the crème fraiche with the held back chicken mixture this will be your final layer- spread evenly over pasta. Sprinkle the parmesan over this layer and place in the oven at 175 degrees for 20 minutes.
Serve with a medium baked potato and steamed greens. This lasagne can be portioned when cooled and then frozen.